Policy on Corporate Social Responsibility
1. Context and Vision
At Mindtree, our mission statement reads “We engineer meaningful technology solutions to help businesses and societies flourish”. We engage with society beyond business as we believe a good business needs to create higher impact in building a better future for communities around the globe. This policy defines our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) objectives and programs undertaken by Mindtree to fulfill its obligations as a responsible corporate citizen to achieve its mission.
2. Objectives and Approach
2.1. Mindtree will focus on CSR initiatives that promote the areas identified in this policy. Programs will be undertaken wherever Mindtree is present, with special attention on areas surrounding Mindtree’s facilities. Mindtree will implement the chosen programs via two channels:
- The mode of implementation of CSR programmes will include a combination of direct implementation and / or through partners such as NGOs, Trusts, academic institutions, business associates, registered societies etc. The Company will select its partners after appropriate due diligence.
- Through Mindtree Foundation
2.2. The surplus arising out of the CSR activities or projects shall not form part of the business profit of Mindtree.
3. Focus Areas
In accordance with the requirements of the Companies Act, 2013, Mindtree amongst others, will focus on:
- Benefit the differently-abled
- Promote education
- Create sustainable livelihood opportunities
- Promote health
- Skill Development
- Eradicating hunger, poverty and malnutrition, sanitation and making available safe drinking water
- Environmental sustainability
- Protecting National Heritage and Culture
- Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women
- Further, support the CSR programmes at L&T Group level where applicable.
4. Funding, Execution and Implementation of CSR Activities
4.1. The list of CSR activities which Mindtree plans to undertake shall be as specified under the Companies Act, 2013 and amendment thereof.
4.2. The Company may enter into partnerships with the government, business partners and communities to create multiplier effect of its social programmes.
4.3. The CSR Steering Committee (defined subsequently in this policy) shall monitor the process of such projects or programs on a quarterly basis.
4.4. The statutory requirements for spending on CSR initiatives shall be one of the factors while determining the CSR programs to be undertaken during any Financial Year. The CSR Committee of the Board will allocate funding based on the number of initiatives that are undertaken during the year which meet the requirements of this policy.
5. Governance of the CSR initiatives
Mindtree will have a three-tier governance structure to oversee the CSR initiatives.
- Approve the CSR Policy of the Company.
- Disclose the content of the CSR Policy in its report and place the Policy on the Company’s website as prescribed under Section 135 of the Companies Act, 2013 read with the Companies (Corporate Social Responsibility Policy) Rules, 2014.
- Ensure that the social programmes undertaken are aligned to the CSR Policy of the Company.
- Specify reasons in its report for not spending the earmarked amount in case the Company fails to spend such amount
- The Board of Directors of the Company shall constitute the Committee with such number of its members as it deems necessary, and shall serve on this Committee for such duration as determined by the Board of Directors of Mindtree.
CSR Committee of the Board of Directors will play the role of the apex review body. The charter for the CSR committee is attached as Annexure A.
Steering Committee :
CSR Steering Committee headed by Chief People Officer, comprising of Senior Executives appointed by the CSR Committee for such duration as determined by the CSR Committee.
6. Monitoring and reporting:
6.1. The CSR Steering Committee will oversee programs, partner identification, funding, monitoring and implementation of the chosen programs
6.2. The CSR Steering Committee shall also review the detailed quarterly reports with a status of all approved initiatives, including the impact created by each initiative to its intended beneficiaries.
6.3 The following activities do not qualify as CSR Activities:
- Projects or activities not falling within Schedule VII of the Companies Act, 2013
- Activities undertaken in pursuance of normal course of business
- Projects or programs or activities that benefit only the employees of Mindtree and their families
- Direct or indirect contribution to any political party.
Charter for the Corporate Social Responsibility Committee of the Board of Directors
I. Background and Context
The Corporate Social Responsibility Committee (the “Committee”) of the Board of Directors (the “Board”) of Mindtree Limited (“Mindtree” or the “Company”) has been formed to assist the Board and Company in fulfilling its Corporate Social Responsibility (“CSR”) objectives. The purpose of the Committee is to:
- bear the overall responsibility of formulating and implementing the CSR policy;
- identify the areas of CSR activity;
- recommend the spending on identified CSR activities;
- accomplish any other activities entrusted to the Committee by the Board of Directors; and
- perform any other activities required by this Committee under any applicable regulations.
The Committee shall be appointed by and will serve at the discretion of the Board. The Committee shall consist of with a minimum of three members with at least one member being an Independent Director. The Board of Directors shall also designate one member of the Committee to act as the Chairperson of the Committee.
III. Meetings & Quorum
The Committee shall meet at such intervals as decided by the Chairperson of the Committee. Two members who are present shall form the quorum for the meeting of the Committee. The Chairman of the Committee shall convene the meeting as desired and set the agenda.
IV. Duties & Authority of the Committee
- The Committee shall periodically review and approve the CSR Policy and associated frameworks, processes and practices of the Company as well as this Charter, and suggest changes where necessary.
- The Committee shall ensure the Company is taking the appropriate measures to implement the CSR projects successfully and meet its CSR obligations under any applicable regulations. Further, it will oversee the appropriate disclosure of CSR activities in the Directors Report and any other disclosure required under applicable regulations.
- The Committee shall identify the areas of CSR activities and recommend the amount of expenditure to be incurred on such activities.
- The Committee shall co-ordinate with and monitor Mindtree Foundation or other agencies through which the CSR projects get implemented.
- The Committee shall grant approvals to the CSR Steering Committee / implementation agencies for overruns / deviations wherever required.
- The Committee shall regularly report to the Board about its activities.
- The Committee shall have access to any internal information necessary to fulfill its role.
- The Committee shall also have authority to obtain advice and assistance from internal or external legal, accounting or other advisors.
|Ver||Change||Section||Date||Reviewed by||Approved by|
|1.0||New release||Entire Document||Jan 19, 2015||CSR Committee||Board of Directors|
|2.0||Amendment||Entire Document||Jan 14, 2020||CSR Committee||Board of Directors|