Anil Manibhai Naik
Anil Manibhai Naik (A. M. Naik) is the Group Chairman of Larsen & Toubro – the organization he has served for over 54 years, and led for the last 20. L&T is a USD 20 billion conglomerate that operates at the upper end of the technology spectrum in critical sectors such as defence equipment and systems, nuclear power, aerospace, hydrocarbon and infrastructure. Naik mirrors the defining characteristics of the company, viz., professionalism, customer-centricity, fidelity to core values, and a passionate commitment to serving the interests of the country, cause and community.
Described by the media as 'Mr. Infrastructure', and ‘leading the company that is building the India of the 21st century’, Naik has secured several global, national and professional honors. He is the Honorary Consul General for Denmark in Mumbai. A recent biography titled ‘The Nationalist – How A.M. Naik Transformed L&T into a Global Powerhouse’ has been featured among non-fiction bestsellers by Nielsen.
His pan-industry roles include:
- Was appointed Chairman of the National Skill Development Corporation by the Government of India in 2018
- Served as Chairman of the Board of Governors of India's most prestigious B-School - IIM - Ahmedabad
- Was an active member of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- Served as the Co-Chairman Indo-Russia CEO Forum
- Was an active member of the Indo-Japan Business Leadership Forum
In 2019, the Government of India awarded Naik the Padma Vibhushan - one of India's highest civilian honors. He is one of the few professionals in the field of industry to have been so honored. Already a recipient of the Padma Bhushan - the third highest national honor, Naik was presented the Gujarat Garima (Pride of Gujarat) in 2009 by the then Chief Minister of Gujarat, Hon’ble Shri Narendra Modi (now Prime Minister of India). He was conferred the Danish Knighthood by Her Majesty Queen Margrethe - 2008 and a further honor, viz., The Order of the Dannebrog - Knight First Class in 2015.
Other distinctions include:
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the leading business magazine, Business Today – 2018
- Ranked by news magazine Outlook as one among the 50 Best CEOs ever – 2017
- 32nd Best Performing CEO in the World - Harvard Business Review - 2013. Ranked 4th in the Industrial sector.
- Named among The Economic Times 'Most Powerful CEOs' 2012
- Rated one among top two of India's Best CEOs by Business Today, INSEAD and Harvard Business Review – 2012
- Honorary Doctorates from multiple universities
- Serves as Honorary Consul General for Denmark