Leading software solution provider leverages Oracle EBS configured for GST to modernize its financial and procurement systems
The client was looking to replace the existing Tally ERP (third party system) at its India development center with Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS). Mindtree rolled out standard functionalities of Oracle EBS 11i modules and localized it for India operations, enabling it to report financial transactions to its parent organization through Multiple Reporting Currencies (MRC) ledger. The Mindtree team also configured the codes for Goods and Services Tax (GST), helping the client drive compliance as per the requirements of the recently introduced tax reform.
About the client
The client is a software solutions provider, offering solutions across multiple areas such as business performance optimization, compliance, financial crime prevention, safety and security. Headquartered in Israel, it has a global presence in more than 150 countries - across the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions.
As part of its continued expansion plans, the client was focused on transforming its operations across regional businesses through technology enhancements. As part of this endeavor, the client was looking to upgrade its development center in India, which was using Tally ERP9 V5 for financial operations and Oracle EBS for procurement purposes. The goal was to rollout the Oracle EBS suite of applications (GL, AP, PO, FA, iExpenses, Cash Management, PO and basic AR). The client mandate also included localization of the Oracle EBS system for India operations and configuration of the system for Goods and Services Tax (GST) compliance.
The scope of work involved:
- Roll out standard functionalities and customization of Oracle EBS 11i modules for India operations
- Enable global Oracle EBS configurations and India localization for P2P, expenses and fixed assets, and subsequently develop four GST reports.
- Develop a detailed scope for conducting CRP, system testing and super user training.
After a thorough evaluation of the existing legacy systems in the India business unit, Mindtree defined an implementation plan spanning four and half months.
- The Mindtree team began by standardizing all the functionalities of the Oracle EBS 11i modules (GL, AP, iExpenses, Cash Management, Fixed Asset, AR and PO) and then localizing them for India operations.
- We than configured the primary Set of Books (SOB) for recording transaction with INR as the currency, while creating a reporting book with USD as the currency. This required us to map the primary SOB (INR) with Indian fiscal year (Apr-Mar), and consolidate the reporting book for Jan-Dec fiscal year.
- In order to comply with the regulatory requirements, we developed four custom reports:
- GSTR1 to provide details on all the sales invoice transactions by the 10th of the following month
- GSTR2 for purchase invoice transactions to be filed by the 15th of following month.
- GSTR3 for filing monthly returns by the 20th of the following month
- GSTR7 encompassing details for authorities deducting tax at source.
Mindtree’s detailed Oracle EBS implementation and configuration for GST compliance helped the client successfully transition from its legacy system – Tally ERP. As a result of the rollout, all financial and procurement related transactions were migrated seamlessly to Oracle EBS suite, enabling the client to automatically calculate the tax for such transactions. We also helped the client configure GST tax codes to align tax accounting with the GST regime. In addition to these benefits, the client also realized value from simplified filing of GST reports and the generation of internal management reports for superior decision making.