Managed Infrastructure Services and QA deliver 104% ROI for an American multinational private equity, alternative asset management and financial services corporation
The client manages more than $216 billion in assets (private equity, real estate and global credit) for investors worldwide. It is one of the world’s largest asset managers with approximately 1,625 professionals operating across six continents. For the client, managing IT was a pain area with innumerable operational challenges. The organization did not have a dedicated team for infrastructure management and was forced to interface with multiple vendors. This resulted in inefficiencies and poor controls, leading to spiraling costs. The challenges were compounded by ad-hoc change management, the non-availability of centralized inventory and tight IT budgets. The only way to address the client’s challenges was through a Quality Assurance and Managed Infrastructure Service
Improving test coverage and reducing costs with automation
Mindtree has been a solution provider to the client for over a decade. We have a deep understanding of, and familiarity with, the client’s business . After conducting an enterprise-level QA maturity assessment, Mindtree implemented an automation-based solution with three goals: To increase test coverage across the client’s portfolio, to reduce costs and achieve faster time-to-market.
The QA solution included:
- Automated Web services integration
- Performance testing for seven applications
- Integration of performance framework with Jenkins and automatic email reporting of performance KPIs
- Selenium-based automation framework for applications like LP Connect, ELM, ITR, C2DS, One Search and Service Now
The Infrastructure solution was buttressed by:
- 24X7 infrastructure monitoring and management through Mindtree’s integrated service management platform MWatch along with end user support
- Coordination with 24+ GTS infra-related vendors for services in Mindtree’s scope of work
The engagement was delivered by a team size of ~110 in an onshore-offshore model with Mindtree taking on delivery ownership for critical services and QA programs.
The tools and technologies environment for the engagement covered:
- MS SQL Server
- Office 365
Value addition, effort savings and cost reduction + continuous improvement
Mindtree has worked closely with the client to deliver a dedicated managed service (NOC) and has stabilized the client’s IT environment through comprehensive audit, risk and gap analysis. Continual SLA improvement has been implemented and a common Mindtree team manages global Service Desk functions.
Automation coverage for some of the critical applications was improved from 5% to 70%; 134 automation initiatives were undertaken to reduce manual efforts and human error in infrastructure management; and 100% in-scope infrastructure availability was delivered in 2018. The business benefits include:
- 104% ROI for initial managed services engagement in 6.8 months
- Effort saving of 4,400+ hours with Enterprise QA support for 35+ releases
- Effort saving of 2,500+ hours using Selenium-based test automation framework for 25+ releases
- 84% reduction in average incidents per device in last 5 years
- 76% reduction of device-based costs (hardware, software licensing costs, virtual desktop, servers and other costs related to IT infrastructure) in last 9 years
- Cost savings unlocked for GTS operations and engineering team via consolidation and optimization of IT suppliers, licenses, hosting providers and through Mindtree’s own productivity improvements
It has become imperative for large organizations to use advanced automation to manage critical infrastructure and testing. The goal is to reduce errors, optimize performance, improve availability and achieve predictability. It is even more critical that these services be delivered by a trusted and competent partner so that the organization is not distracted and can focus on its core business.