Product ownership of a non-core product for a fortune 500 computer security enterprise
The customer is a leading provider of computer security and data protection software with a large consumer base. Faced with a situation where a non-core product had to be managed and grown, an end-to-end solution offering was required. The revenue contribution was not signiﬁcant compared to the suite solution required.
Mindtree’s integrated suite of service offerings enabled a Fortune 500 enterprise in the computer security and data protection domain to increase three folds the revenue of a non-core product.
To manage the engineering and management challenges that segregate non-core products from core products, enterprises need to address the following:
- Deliver new releases to the market without increasing the overall spend and impacting existing customer satisfaction
- Keep the product relevant to the market landscape without increasing the cost and still managing the portfolio
- Maintain the balance between outsourcing and meeting consumer needs
- Ensure service quality is not compromised while managing outsourcing partners
Mindtree proposed a product ownership model to handle the product and work with the customer to create the roadmaps and future releases. The highlight of this model was that Mindtree would invest the engineering costs on the product. The revenue that the product would generate would be shared between the customer and Mindtree.
- Product revenue increased three times in two years, with zero investment from customer
- Minimal customer management overhead incurred as Mindtree reduced product ownership cost for the customer
- Cleared product backlogs. Established product vision for next 3 years