Before Mindtree came into the picture, the customer, Europe’s largest sportswear manufacturer, had implemented Microsoft SharePoint and basic solutions for the intranet. The customer was using contract resources and the solutions had not gone live.
We were engaged as the partner of choice for transforming the customer’s SharePoint investments and to deliver high value to the enterprise. We had to provide the solution, technology, architecture and implementation expertise. We partnered with the customer’s stakeholders to continuously identify requirements, discover and implement solutions that map the business needs.
Our teams were required to collaborate not only with the IT, but also with the business units, to conceptualize, design, implement, deliver and support the solutions. We had to provide end-to- end SharePoint services right from consulting to continual support and maintenance.
The biggest challenge was to get the current implementation environment to the attuned SharePoint environment. Some key challenges included:
- Vision / strategy / roadmap:There was no clear vision, strategy or roadmap, nor was there a clear understanding of how to transform the SharePoint environment.
- Prioritizations:A large list of solutions were lined up for implementation, but the priorities and the sequence of implementation was not available.
- Understanding of SharePoint:The key stakeholders, executives and end users did not really understand the capabilities of SharePoint and its impact on day-to-day processes and activities, both within and outside the enterprise.
- Processes:Processes, standardization, best practices and governance models were not established for the SharePoint environment.
The existing SharePoint implementation was clearly at a very nascent stage, with multiple issues and shortcomings to be addressed. We were to transform it to a high value platform for the customer. The key highlights of our approach were:
- The Mindtree SharePoint Centre of Excellence (CoE): Our SharePoint CoE worked closely with the customer to design and establish core processes. This included SDLC processes, best practices, governance mechanisms and standardization for SharePoint and solution implementation. We enabled the customer to scale solutions seamlessly, in a standard, secure and fast manner, with the appropriate tracking mechanism for audits and compliance process adherence.
- Team enterprise: At our center in India, we optimized resourcing and team structure, which included onsite resources as well as offshore development. Key roles that required frequent customer interactions and touch points were located onsite, whereas the implementation and support teams were located offshore. This reduced our customer’s overall cost of transforming their SharePoint environment.
- Integrated innovation: We worked in close collaboration with the customer to conceptualize high value business solutions and develop the roadmap for implementation. The team was also responsible for stakeholder interviews, needs gatherings, business requirements deﬁnition & discovery, developing & presenting PoCs to the appropriate stakeholders for approval and sign offs. Moreover, the team worked across the entreprise with the IT as well as other business units. They helped the customer to ﬁne-tune and tailor SharePoint implementations, making it possible not only to increase the value of SharePoint investments, but also to establish SharePoint as the platform of choice for the entire enterprise.
- Solution frameworks: A key measure of success for the engagement was the transformation of the SharePoint implementation to the desired state in a fast and efficient manner. This was achieved by integrating processes within the deﬁnition, design and implementation stages, wherein a solution framework would be developed with reusable components. This could be utilized across a variety of solution implementation scenarios. Since the frameworks thought processes was integrated right from the deﬁnition stage, it was possible to reduce the overall time to market the solution.
- Tailored QA processes: For a horizontal platform like Microsoft SharePoint, it is necessary to look beyond run-of-the mill testing and QA processes. This is because SharePoint is a framework and all implementations are done either by using the framework features or as customizations. This approach differs from building applications from scratch using technologies like .NET. Mindtree’s approach for SharePoint speciﬁc testing makes it possible to deliver high quality solutions which can be seamlessly integrated within the existing SharePoint environment and infrastructure.
- Training: Project speciﬁc business analysts provided solution speciﬁc training to end users and stakeholders, enabling smooth acceptance of the solution by the customer’s user community. Training was provided on the solution usage and the key beneﬁts of the solution were communicated to the user community.
- Support and maintenance: Mindtree provided enhancements and development support to the already implemented SharePoint solutions. This made it possible to further ﬁne-tune, enhance solutions and deliver functionalities to levels expected by end users and the business.
The following solutions were developed and are being implemented:
- Intranet 2.0 redesign
- France intranet
- Italy intranet
- Trend radar application
- Global store master application
- Project management solution for global wholesale
- Supply chain integration workﬂow
- Continual support and maintenance
- Portal solution: SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013 and Microsoft .NET
- Database: SQL Server
- Conﬁguration management and development environment: Visual Studio and SharePoint Designer
- Transformation of the current SharePoint environment from a grassroot level implementation to a high value platform for the entire enterprise.
- To have a clear vision and roadmap for transformation.
- Better managed SharePoint infrastructure with standard processes, adherence to compliance and best practices.
- Reduced time to market of new enhancement and application functionalities.
- Increased efficiency and employee productivity.
- More stable portal with seamless, template based roll outs for multiple countries.