Quality Assurance for OTT Providers
The OTT state of affairs
Traditional video service providers are shifting to direct-to-consumer models by launching their own OTT services. They are doing this by embracing digital transformation and moving their infrastructure to the Cloud, with the objective of serving catch-up or live on-the-go content directly to consumers on multiple devices.
The rise in production and consumption of OTT video content has brought challenges. Increased consumer choice and low switching costs lead to churn if the quality of viewing experience is bad. When consumers encounter buffering or stalling of a video, the problem may be due to multiple reasons; a single point failure within a component, an integration failure between independent components, Wi-Fi data being exhausted or low internet speeds at the endpoint.
Without an effective quality assurance (QA) strategy, video service providers are likely to have unnecessary development efforts, higher operational costs and delays in issue resolution, eventually leading to higher consumer churn.
Mindtree’s OTT Quality Assurance services for the entire digital content pipeline
Mindtree’s QA services are fit for any OTT scenario. Mindtree offers integrated monitoring solutions for the entire OTT pipeline, right from content ingestion to consumption. Mindtree’s QA stack tests components like content service & types, distribution architectures, consumer premise equipment, device types, operating systems & applications.
Figure 1: Mindtree's OTT Testing Solution Blueprint
The Mindtree advantage
|Scalability - Scalable QA services across the digital value chain covering load, security and resilience testing
Accelerated testing - Home-grown test automation frameworks and AI-based intelligent automation testing solutions for faster QA
Behavioral driven testing - Digital media business-driven testing with automated test design approach based on behavioral modelling
Innovation - Innovative QA services using predictive analytics, AI/ML and bots
Flexible operating model - Core/flex testing model approach to manage demand spikes using a resource pool of niche QA skills spread across the globe
Continuous testing - Iterative testing model supported by DevSecOps with a continuous integration platform
The value Mindtree brings to media clients
- Reduced cost of operations – 40% reduction in cost of quality assurance
- Time to market – 50% acceleration in time to market through automation
- Testing frameworks – Behavior-driven testing frameworks, end user experience engineering, mobile and automation frameworks
- Processes – Early automation, service virtualization & containerization, performance & security-driven testing
- Competent staff – 3450+ full stack engineers of which 1250+ are certified; 10+ years of media/publishing domain experience along with global distributed agile teams
Mindtree has delivered great outcomes for clients
- Quality assurance and automation of the entire digital media supply chain (250+ services, 15+ workflows) leading to 50% effort savings for a UK-based public broadcaster serving ~3.6 billion annual online program requests
- Increased efficiency among production teams in terms of content finalization and faster decision making by uplifting and testing a production management platform for a leading US-based broadcaster
- Quality assurance and automation for 19 web properties that led to 40% reductions in costs of quality and 50% acceleration in time-to-market for a large US-based magazine publisher
OTT Video Providers: The Importance of Quality Assurance in Delivering a Seamless Viewing Experience
Summary: There is a rising concern among traditional video service providers like broadcasters, cable operators and studios with the rapid success and growth of over-the-top (OTT) video platforms like Netﬂix and Amazon Prime Video. To remain competitive, traditional video service providers are shifting to direct-to-consumer models by launching their own OTT services. The rise in production and consumption of OTT digital video content has brought challenges. Increased consumer choice and low switching costs, lead to churn if the quality of viewing experience is bad. Without an eﬀective quality assurance (QA) strategy, video service providers are likely to have unnecessary development eﬀorts, higher operational costs, and delays in issue resolution eventually leading to higher consumer churn. This is why Quality Assurance is of utmost importance for OTT Providers to deliver a seamless viewing experience.