Travel industry is changing dynamically. The systems governing their operations need to be constantly upgraded to ensure customer satisfaction and retention. They need a reliable technology partner to help them transform their technology infrastructure to meet emerging demands.
Here’s how Mindtree helped a leading air transport communications and IT enterprise to move up from their legacy system in order to meet their ever growing needs.
The customer is a global leader in air transport communications and information technology solutions. They were using a legacy Passenger Servicing System (PSS) which was built on the mainframe technology thirty years ago. They were in need of an upgrade. They also needed new applications to replace the traditional PNR data store and use customer proﬁles and customer journey information.
There was a need to:
- Change market perception and broaden addressable market to increase revenues / proﬁts
- Attract tier 2 network carriers
- Measure the impact of testing on the improvements on the application to measure ROI
- Provide a single snapshot of engagement and project level information for effective decision making
While addressing the needs above, the following challenges were being faced:
- Continuation of legacy development would be complex and difficult
- Availability of skilled workforce was limited
- Lack of required testing guidelines and checklists
- Inadequacy of process to track the testing progress or coverage
The customer wanted a technology partner who could provide technical consultation and implementation services to design, build and maintain the new systems. The new system was to provide ﬂexibility, re-usability and offer functionally rich solutions.
Mindtree provided the technical expertise required to enable the customer to replace and upgrade the PSS within ﬁve years. The current airline process compliance is adhered to and the existing architecture is replaced with a service oriented architecture. Mindtree has been involved in multiple engagements with the customer across functional areas such as reservation, baggage management and ﬂight operations. Our engagements span multiple technologies ranging from legacy mainframes to C++ and J2EE across services offerings such as consulting, development and maintenance.
The systems replaced and developed by Mindtree are:
- Departure Control System: New departure control system with shared PNR concept along with reservation system. We also integrated the system with weight and balance, seating and other applications
- Seating: An application to manage seat maps in common repository that can be accessed by reservation, DCS and inventory
- Weight & balance: It was designed for carriers to handle load planning. It is integrated with DCS and baggage handling using industry accepted messaging standards
- AirFare shop: It is a web based solution to increase direct sales and reduce distribution cost of airlines
- Payments: Centralized services for payment integration across payment gateways along with value add services like currency conversion, 3D secure and address veriﬁcation
- ESB: Implemented ESB framework, to facilitate integration of COTS for quick turnaround time
- Agent reservation desktop: Enhanced the system, by adding advance ticketing, stored fares and new user interface
- Next generation GUI framework: We developed an end to end enterprise framework with rich user interface features and extended JSF and Swing components
- Business and technical utilities: Multiple common business utilities were developed for location manager. Components for reference data manager were built on the SOA framework along with technical utilities to support the solutions for error manager, audit manager, messaging framework
- Customer journey archival: Synchronization and reconciliation of data between Legacy and Open systems in near real time with advanced search and retrieval criteria
- Customer proﬁle: It is a central system that stores all customer proﬁles and rates customer value for the airline or subscriber
- Flight ops: Mindtree re-hosted the mission-critical ﬂight operations and planning system from a mainframe-based platform to a Sun Solaris platform. We implemented a combination of re-hosting the complex core of the system and then re-developing the non-core parts of the system. Such an approach saved considerable software re-development time and cost. The ﬂight operations system services 180+ airlines and generates 15000+ ﬂight plans that carry 100 million+ passengers every day
- Transformed existing product suite from mainframe based system to an open system technology based product set
- Supported customer's commitment to manage the enormous passenger growth expected by 2020 - over three billion passengers compared to today’s 2.2 billion
- Provided a GUI framework with rich user interface for better user experience