Customer engagement through Conversational AI
Natural language conversations provide an effective medium to engage and understand consumers. Whether a consumer is in pre-purchase stage looking for a product or service or in-purchase stage or even during post-purchase stage, conversational channels provide a window to consumers' individual thoughts and expectations that other channels like web/apps have had limited success in capturing so far.
Digital marketing today provides huge improvement over traditional marketing; however it suffers from two main limitations:
- It’s one way - very little information can flow back from consumer to the marketer.
- It’s not personalized - achieving one to one personalization has been difficult with current methods. Most current methods work on basis of customer segments. Behavioral traits are derived from customer clicks and taps.
Conversational customer engagement provides huge improvement in delivering value to the customers across entire consumer life cycle
Pre-purchase: Conversational promotions offer huge improvement in both the areas as it allows for customers to give feedback two-ways in natural language, thus providing rich information to marketers to tailor their propositions. It can drive significant improvement in conversion rates and sales volume.
In-purchase: Conversational channels provide a very effective method of guiding and supporting consumers while they use a product or service, thus elevating the customer experience with the brand and improving metrics like CSAT and NPS. It is also a great channel to up-sell, cross-sell other products/services based on customers' evolving needs. For example, selling a meal while a customer is waiting for the flight.
Post-purchase: During the post-purchase phase, conversational channels, especially two-way asynchronous messaging channels like Apple Business Chat, Google RCS, WhatsApp, Messenger etc., provide an edge over other channels by enabling non-intrusive yet personalized communication, building trust and familiarity with the consumer. This enables brand recall during consecutive purchases.
Asynchronous messaging channels
Asynchronous messaging channels provide significant advantages over other conversational channels such as telephone/web chat as:
- They already have consumers using them. They are the most used applications on phone.
- Conversations don’t get disrupted by any interruptions, context is not lost.
- Multiple conversations can happen in parallel.
- Much effective in reaching the consumer at the right time. For example, proposing a seat upgrade just when a customer has arrived at the airport (message vs. email).